Monday, September 21, 2009

MS September Cucpake Challenge: Zucchini Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Sorry my entry is late folks, but I just got over a nasty viral infection. I felt terrible for about a week...yuck. But, I'm all better now and I was able to complete the challenge this weekend.

For those of you who don't know, I am participating in a Martha Stewart Cupcake challenge. Myself and quite a few other bloggers are baking our way through the cupcake book one recipe at a time. I am thoroughly enjoying being a part of this challenge and seeing what everyone else comes with.

I have to admit, I went into this challenge a little skeptical. I had read my fellow bloggers posts about this cupcake and wasn't expecting much from it. I thought this was a fairly simple cupcake to make, but it was so weird not to have any BUTTER in a cupcake recipe!

The cake I thought was a little overly "spicey" if that makes any sense. The cloves and lemon zest were a little overwhelming. Maybe I added too much? I omitted the walnuts, mostly because I don't really care for them in baked goods. I also halved the recipe in anticipation of not liking them very is the final result:

I took a half dozen to my best friend Jordan and her boyfriend Lance. Sunday Jordan and I went to see "Julie & Julia" and it was fabulous. We laughed and had a great time...I never knew Julia Child was so animated. I guess I've never seen any of her cooking shows! It was a great movie and I recommend it to everyone.

So, would I make these again? Probably not. Were they absolutely terrible? No. They were just OK. Good experience, though!


Nina said...

YAY for feeling better. and cupcakes came out fabulous!

mike said...

Love your frosting! I need to break out of the "star" tip mold and start experimenting with round tips. Those look fantastic and glad you saw J&J - it was REALLY good. Check out and search for Julia Child/French Chef - there's lots of 1/2 hr vintage "The French Chef" episodes that you can watch online. They're great! Glad you and Jordan liked the movie - here's to Banana Pecan Cupcakes - and glad you're feeling better.

the Provident Woman said...

Wow that sounds and looks great!