Thursday, January 21, 2010

Champagne Cupcakes for New Years Eve

It has become a tradition for Alex and I to stay in on New Years Eve. We have a few reasons for this.

1. It's cheaper than going out and drinking at a bar.
2. It's safer.
3. We are homebodies.

Number 3 being the biggest one. We are not big party, dancing all night kind of folks. I guess we are old souls. :)

I found this recipe in Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella.


This book has been my "go-to" book for quite some time now. I think it may have even been my first cupcake cook book! Ah, memories!

These cupcakes were fairly simple to make, and both the cupcake and the frosting had actual champagne in them, not a flavoring. The only thing I didn't like about this frosting was the fact that it had shortening in it. I don't really enjoy working with shortening, it is so greasy and gross! But despite the shortening, the frosting still tasted great.

Everyone enjoyed these cupcakes after our lasagna dinner. We celebrated New Years Eve with friends, and it was a great evening.

The next day, however, the cupcakes were NOT good. The cake tasted like stale beer! I guess these cupcakes should really be eaten within a few hours of being made. Oops! :)

No comments: