Friday, January 15, 2010

MSC: Coconut Cupcakes

I was so excited to select this month's cupcake challenge, the Coconut Cupcakes from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book. I am having such a great time doing this challenge, and there are so many bakers participating!

I love, love, love coconut. So these were an obvious choice for me. I didn't experience any trouble baking these cupcakes, and I thought they were relatively simply to bake. The recipe called for pure vanilla extract, and although I don't usually like to use pure vanilla extract (I prefer the fake kind!), I used it anyway. I could tell a difference in the cake. I want to make these again, but use imitation vanilla to see if the cake taste would change dramatically.



But then, I got to the recommended frosting, which was the coconut version of the 7 Minute Frosting. I almost skipped the recommended recipe and went with a MUCH simpler Coconut Buttercream, but I decided to be true to the book and went with it.



Well, the 7 minute frosting turned into 15 minutes. It took SO long to set up, even though it was being made in my stand mixer. And making the syrup, ugh, I didn't really enjoy that, either. But, the end result did product a pretty, shiny, rich frosting.

I took the cupcakes to work the next morning for my co-workers to enjoy. They went over well, except for with our video editor, who is allergic to coconut! Needless to say, he didn't partake in the cupcakes. :)

I would probably make these cupcakes again. But without the 7 Minute Frosting. And I would use imitation vanilla instead of pure vanilla extract. So I give this one a 6 out of 10 in terms of overall goodness.

Next month we are making Smores Cupcakes! I am so excited about this one. Thanks to Mary Anne from Meet Me in the Kitchen for selecting this one. And of course, head on over to our Challenge Website to see all of my baking buddies work as well. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

24 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have been unofficially baking along. Although coconut is not my favorite, these were a hit in my husband's office, so nice choice. The frosting also took me a long time, and mine didn't even turn out!

Mary Ann said...

Your cupcakes look so pretty! How unfortunate that someone at work was allergic to coconut.
Great pick. They were a hit.

Anonymous said...

I finally gave up on the frosting and just dunked the tops of mine in it when goopy and stuck the coconut on top.

Cupcakes and Sundry said...

Great cupcakes, thanks for choosing this month's cupake!

Sarah said...

Jennifer, your cuppies look terrific! I'm not a huge 7 min frostinger myself, I always seem to screw it up somewhere? Btw what tip did u use on your frosting? I think I may have it but if not I need it! Lol.

Janine said...

I loved these. Thanks for picking them. After about 15 minutes or so, my icing wasn't set etiher...maybe I should have kept going. Yours look great.

Sorry about your car.

Kate said...

Your cupcakes look beautiful. Love the shine of the frosting. I ended up skipping the 7 minute frosting and made her standard cream cheese frosting - now I'm glad I did!

Nina said...

Thanks for hosting this month! Your cupcakes came out so beautifully; I gave up waiting and just frosted them since I was running SUPER late.

TeaLady said...

Great pic for Jan. I loved these both times I made them. And yours look perfect.

Glad no one was hurt in the wreck you had. It was awful weather.

Unknown said...

thanks for picking these, and yours look great!

Monica Lifferth said...

Greak pick! These are such a fun cupcake. Can't wait to get mine finished!

Lori said...

Thanks for a great pick!!! Your cupcakes look great...so shiny too! I also thought that it was funny that the frosting took so long. It definitely wasn't 7 minutes for me either.

k.a.r.e.n said...

Thank you, thank you for an AWESOME pick. I loved these cupcakes!

Teresa said...

I totally agree about the pure vanilla extract! I thought it was just me who preferred artifical vanilla. You are courageous for trying the Seven Minute Frosting. It looks wonderful! Thanks for the pick!

Alyssa said...

They look pretty and delicious. Too bad the shiny frosting took so long.

Kayte said...

Thank you for your pick as we loved, loved, loved these, frosting and all. Yours look beautiful. Best cupcake EVER!

Elizabeth D. said...

Awesome! Your cupcakes look quite beautiful, that's for sure.

Unknown said...

Your cupcakes look fantastic - thanks for a great pick! I used meringue powder for my frosting and it set up much easier/quicker than other beaten egg white recipes I've made.

Annette said...

Great pick, I loved them! In fact, these are my favorite cupcakes that we have made so far. :) I skipped the 7 minute frosting, though. It looks beautiful, but taste wise I prefer buttercream.

Dave said...

seeing all these with the 7 minute frosting, i'm wishing i had a little more time to put it together instead of the greasy mouthed, store style standard that i threw together. :::sigh::: welll, i guess i'll just have to make them again (any old excuse)!

Megan said...

These were a great choice - I happen to love coconut (as well as my dad!).

Cindy said...

I was excited to make these--I love coconut. All seemed well until I pulled them out of the oven. It was downhill from there! I will blame it on altitude. Sometimes baking at 4500 feet presents a problem. But they do have possibilities.
Your cupcakes are beautiful--good job!

Anonymous said...

They cupcakes look divine, and if you have a Kitchenaid (or other stand mixer), there is no excuse not to make 7 minute frosting.

I read that the next time you make the cupcakes you'll use imitation vanilla flavouring rather than vanilla extract! I suggest if you're going to use artificial vanilla, just buy a cake mix.

Also, you pointed out that you didn't like the 7 minute frosting because it actually takes 15 minutes. Well, it takes 7 minutes to cook and of course prep time is more. But if you don't like it, then go with the frosting in a can, because if you're using fake vanilla, why bother with the real frosting!

I just think if you're going to make Martha Stewart's cupcakes, you may want to use the real stuff. It's not Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines - it's Martha Stewart for heaven's sake!

Anonymous said...

I made these before and they are to die for! :) Great texture and the frosting isn't overpowering.